Drugs smuggling to U.S market is a very old business. Earlier drugs business is ruled by Columbian DTOs. Further, when the drugs production is reduced in this region then, these drugs businesses were influenced by Mexican DTOs. Now, Mexican DTO represents as a single greatest drug trafficking threat to the United States.
The Mexican DTO influence over domestic drug trafficking in U.S can be evidenced by following ways:
- This is the only one organization which works in every region of the country.
- This organization increases its extent by distributing the drugs to U.S based street and prison gangs.
- In 2009, approximately 900,000 active gang members were involved in midlevel and retail drug distribution in the United States. Theses 900,000 active gang members represent approximately 20,000 street gangs in more than 2,500 cities.
- Flow of drugs like heroin, methamphetamine, and marijuana were increased by Mexican DTOs because of the increased production of drugs in the Mexico.
- Drugs are generally transported in private vehicles however they also use cross-border tunnels, subterranean passageways and low-flying small or ultra light aircraft to move drugs from Mexico to the United States.
All above statistics clearly showed that Mexican DTOs has highly influenced drugs market and it is growing rapidly year by year.