Compressed natural gas (CNG) is a substitute for gasoline (or petrol), diesel and propane (or LPG). Even if it is a fossil fuel, the emissions are less than the gasoline and petrol. Thus, it is more environmentally friendly. CNG cars have the capability to run on CNG and another fuel such as gasoline alternatively. While using CNG cars, you need to take care of maintenance personally. Those are as follows:
- Precautions while filling the CNG: After you completed the filling gas into the cylinder or gas tank, keep tight the tank without any leakage. Do not overfill the tank. Fill only up to the capacity of the gas tank is the best practice. If you fill more than that with a view of it will give more mileage is a wrong estimation. The excess will seepage from the tank and it will be a waste of money and fuel.
- Park in shaded area: Do not park in direct sunlight. It will cause the evaporation of gasoline. Park in a proper shaded area. If possible use anti sunlight windscreens to avoid the evaporation and to reflect the sunlight.
- Use gasoline for starting: Start with petrol or gasoline. Run at least one kilometer on gasoline. It will help the engine to lubricant and the life of engine will increase by reducing the wear and tear through lubricant. If the gasoline is not used for long time in the CNG cars, the gasoline tank will get contaminated. To avoid this situation, experts advise to use gasoline on five percent of traveling, or use it for first one kilometer.
- Service frequently: Service a CNG car as often required/according to user’s manual. If you neglect servicing, you will face risk of problems in coolant, engine oil, or breakdown of parts. Do the servicing on or before the mentioned period, and do not neglect the more than the prescribed period by the manufacturer.
- Avoid air conditioner and heater at maximum: The air conditioner and the heater needs heavy energy. It will impact the performance of the engine and workload on the engine will rise. This causes excess fuel consumption gasoline/CNG utilization. Use heaters and air conditioners as less as possible. Otherwise, mileage of the car will decrease.
- Tire maintenance: The tires’ inflation or pressure is the most important and is the only maintenance factor for the tires. Improper pressure will lead to the high fuel consumption in all types of fuel cars including CNG. Low pressure in the tires will lead to the high work load on the engine. This leads to high consumption of fuel.
Along with these, check the spark plug. It is for the gasoline engine so when you are using CNG, the spark plug will quickly wear out.